When looking for that perfect vacation destination, many travelers typically start by looking for the “Three S’s” – Sun, Sand, & Sea. You may be thinking – what else could you possible need? In my opinion however, it takes a lot more than just that to make a vacation truly perfect. In Myrtle Beach, South Carolina you will not only find these three vacation essentials, but also a large variety of family, and budget, friendly attractions. Below are my top five favorite things to do in Myrtle Beach:
- Broadway at the Beach – Situated on over 300 acres of land, the Broadway at the Beach complex surrounds Lake Broadway with an expansive boardwalk connecting hundreds of boutique shops, restaurants, carnival style rides and games, a movie theater, aquarium and so much more! My favorite time to go is on Tuesday nights to see the fireworks display over the lake. After shopping and playing a few games on the boardwalk, head down to the “Celebrity Square” area. This plaza is within Broadway at the Beach and has lively bars and nightclubs, but my favorite is the “Crocodile Rocks” dueling piano bar. Stop by after the fireworks for a drink and request your favorite song!
- Carolina Opry – The Carolina Opry is a must see while vacationing in Myrtle Beach. This live show combines music, comedy, and dancing in an unforgettable performance. My favorite time of year to see this show is during the winter season, however. The winter performance is customized for the season and features Christmas themed songs and decorations. The Carolina Opry is unique in that it actually presents four different entertainment shows; The Carolina Opry, Good Vibrations, Light Laser Extravaganza, and the Carolina Opry Christmas Special.
- Myrtle Beach SkyWheel – The Myrtle Beach SkyWheel is the best way to view the beach, sunset, and glowing lights of the strip. While a more common way to get this kind of aerial view might be go parasailing behind a speedboat, this is a great alternative for those who wish to stay dry and still see the sights. The SkyWheel takes you up nearly 120 feet inside tightly secured, glass bottom gondolas that give you the surreal feeling of flying through the sky. This is a great activity for people of all ages to enjoy the scenery.
- Intracoastal Waterway – Take some time to get away from it all and get out on the beautiful Intracoastal Waterway that leads right through Myrtle Beach all the way down to the Florida Keys. This stretch of the Intracoastal is considered by some to be the most scenic sections in the entire Atlantic ICW. On my last visit, my mom and I rented a small boat for the day from the Myrtle Beach Marina. Cruising through these waterways you will see everything from untouched natural beaches, to upscale marinas and hotels.
- Golfing – Play 18 holes on one of Myrtle Beach’s award winning golf courses, or enjoy a leisurely round on one of the many fun themed miniature golf courses – or both! If you’re looking for a challenging golf experience, head north to the Barefoot Resort to play their champion level courses. However, I prefer to keep it simple by going to “Mount Atlanticus” miniature golf! My favorite time to go is at night when the lights turn on and the tropical themed tiki-torches light up!
As you can see, there is a wide range of Myrtle Beach activities and attractions that suit all travelers. From families, to couples, to weekend getaways – you can find it all along the shores of Myrtle Beach!
– Cassy from Delta Vacations